The stories of the scientists behind immuno-oncology, in their own words
Article Originally Published December 21, 2017
As the world of immuno-oncology continues to expand rapidly, and as more and more immunotherapies are developed to improve the lives of those with cancer, the book A Cure Within: Scientists Unleashing the Immune System to Kill Cancer chronicles the contributions of the field’s pioneers—in their own words and drawings.
In A Cure Within, author Neil Canavan profiles 25 oncologists and scientists, including 14 ASCO members. Each section focuses on a different element of immuno-oncology—including CAR-T, vaccines, PD-L1, and CTLA-4—and each chapter takes a deep dive into the work of the major players responsible for bringing these innovations to life.
But instead of relaying history or detailing the science behind each of these discoveries, A Cure Within tells the story behind the story, from the pioneering scientist’s point of view. Read more about this book on ASCO Connection.
ASCO Members Profiled in A Cure Within
- James Allison, PhD, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
- Jedd Wolchok, MD, PhD, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
- Axel Hoos, MD, PhD, GlaxoSmithKline
- Gordon Freeman, PhD, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute
- Suzanne Topalian, MD, Johns Hopkins University
- Drew Pardoll, MD, PhD, Johns Hopkins Medicine
- Elizabeth Jaffee, MD, Johns Hopkins Medicine
- Steven Rosenberg, MD, PhD, National Cancer Institute
- Patrick Hwu, MD, MD Anderson Cancer Center
- Carl June, MD, Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania
- Michel Sadelain, MD, PhD, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
- Robert Coffin, Replimune
- Tom Gajewski, MD, PhD, University of Chicago
- Laurence Zitvogel, MD, Gustav Roussy