The Cancer Letter Archives
The Cancer Letter was founded in 1973, two years after Congress passed the National Cancer Act of 1971. These archives represent the first 40 years of The Cancer Letter, which is published weekly.
January 13, 2006
- Phase 0 Trials Signal FDA’s New Reliance On Biomarkers For Drug Development.
- NCI Faces $32 Million Budget Cut In FY 2006; NIH Tells Grantees To Expect 2.35 Percent Reduction In Award Funds.
- NCI Establishes New Program Project Grant Guidelines.
- Chemotherapy Pioneer Howard Skipper Dead; His Work With Lekemia Cells In Mice Led To Development of Combination Therapies.
January 20, 2006
- Phase III Trial Shows Benefit For Old Drugs, Old Device, For Ovarian Cancer, But Will Practice Change?
- NCI Clinical Alert Urges Patients To Seek Care From Specialists.
- FDA Revises Package Insert, Seeks To Limit Product Liability Suits In State Courts.
- Senate Committee Investigating Pharma’s “Educational Grants.”
January 27, 2006
- Triple Combination Chemotherapy Effective For Advanced Colorectal Cancer, Trial Finds
- Drug Cleared For GIST And Kidney Cancer, FDA’s First Two-Indication Cancer Approval
- Liver Transplants Extend Survival In Early-Stage Cancer
- Trimodality Therapy Improves Survival In Early Disease
- NCI Encourages IP Chemo For Stage III Ovarian Cancer
- Study Finds No Evidence That Statins Cut Cancer Risk
- Chest X-Ray Produces Many False-Positive Results
- NMP22 Assay More Effective Than Conventional Lab Test
- Chemotherapy After Surgery Extends Survival By 32%
- Some Tumors Show Partial Response To Drug Combo
- Recombinant TSH Avoids Need To Stop Replacement Therapy
- Partial Responses To Zactima In Thyroid Cancer Trial
- NCI-Approved Clinical Trials
February 03, 2006
- NCI Director and Acting FDA Commissioner Andrew von Eschenbach Endorses Rep. E. Clay Shaw In Tour of Florida Congressman’s District. Von Eschenbach Praises Shaw’s “Leadership” In Seeking Funding For Research, Support of 2015 Goal.
- Shaw’s Lung Cancer, Bronchoalveolar Carcinoma, Exemplifies Elusiveness of 2015 Goal. Little Known About The Rare Disease.
- Also In This 12-page Issue: NCI To Cut Budgets For New Grants By 29 Percent. R01s To Be Funded At 11th Percentile.
February 17, 2006